Thursday 19 August 2010

Festival of Fruit Post 1

Last Thursday I spent the day with Ramiro Lobo at the UC 
South Coast Research and Extension Center in Irvine
 Learning about growing Dragon Fruit.



We had a great time and met folks from all over the place, 
Hawaii, Taiwan, and a variety of mainland states. 
We got to help them buy tasting and then describing the 
tastes as we felt. Kind of like a crazy adjective 
hunt I could do with the kids. 


Here are all of the different varieties they grow at the
 station.We got to taste 8 different varieties that I think
they are working on developing for the commercial market.
In other news, I spent today on a field trip at the 
The Museum of Tolerance  It was mostly cool and definitely 
something that I would recommend taking your kids to.
Maybe just because to my last 4 years of teaching I felt this was a bit of a "lick and a promise" as several members of my family are want to say when  doing the housework after a long day in the classroom. Some things were left unsaid, for example what happened in Palestine/Israel after the British pulled out, but for the most part it was good for the kids. Wonder what their journals will look like tonight.


Don't know why, but I'm having a devil of  time with my font sizes lately.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Soooo...what does dragonfruit taste like?

Cat said...

Depends on the dragon fruit they remind me of a cross between a kiwi fruit and a watermelon with subtle variations. The darker the get the sweeter they get some are a bit more earthy than others some are sharp and acidic. You should be able to find them at your local asian market, but if you don't have one of those you might try an over priced gourmet store.