Tuesday 10 January 2012

So, when all else fails, garden...

Still no work, this could get boring, except for the fact that I have a whole bunch of gardening to do.
As we know here in So-Cal it's time to plant our spring veggies, trim our bud wood, and repot our strawberries. The last of these activities being the most dangerous I will tackle it now...
"Dangerous" you may say, "but how so Cat? it's only gardening after all."
Never forget, here in So-Cal we have these spiders to live around...


And they love to best in dried plant material and are poisonous, territorial, and fast. 
The days events went fairly well, as I have posted here before, strawberries need a root trim with new soil every 3 years to keep them producing. This being that time, and my pots are looking over grown and generally not so great...


First pot in this picture has been worked on. 
Once your plants come out of the soil, the look raggedy around their roots...


So you trim those back...


Remove older foliage and neaten up and they are ready to replant...


Along the way I did come across a couple of the afore mentioned black widow spiders, and my general advice (taken from my fb page is this... 

"...if you wish to avoid harm to all, wear a hat with your hair up inside, a high necked t-shirt with long sleeves kept long tucked into gardening gloves and some long pants tucked into socks and that should keep you safe. As for the good lady widow, the rules I follow are shoo widows when possible, get out of widows ways when possible, kill if there is no other option, however, destroy all egg sacks."

I enjoy working in my garden , but I also enjoy staying safe. 
Happy gardening to you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, we have very similar in Australia- or perhaps the same? With red on the back. Called redbacks, funnily enough! I don't mind spiders around, but they give me the heeby jeebies. Great blog you have here, loving the gardening images! I will certainly stop by often!

Cat said...

Hey there chaoswitchcraft, thanks for swinging by. The red on the spider is actually on her belly. I'm happy we have spiders, and happy they stay out of my way!